There are many important factors to consider when choosing a baby mattress to use on your baby’s crib, so before you rush for the best-looking baby mattress, think about your purchase and how it can keep your newborn comfortable while sleeping.
What to Look for In a Baby Mattress
You’ll want a baby mattress that meets or exceeds the most comfortable level of night sleep, but what other factors should you look for? Here are some things to consider:
- Size & Thickness: The Federal government regulates the size for all standard crib mattresses via the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (CPSIA). The minimum size is 27 1/4” x 51 5/8” with a thickness not exceeding 6 inches. A typical foam crib mattress will weigh between about 7 and 13 pounds and measure 3 to 6 inches thick.
- Density: When you’re comparing mattresses, look for a measure of density. Higher density mattresses, with 1.5 pounds per cubic foot, are firmer and more substantial than lower density mattresses. Crib mattress also has a feature called dual-sided density. One side is firmer for a newborn and the other side is softer for an older baby
- Manufactured: Many companies producing mattress toppers are producing them in the United States.
- Certified Materials: Several organizations certify crib mattress to be free from harmful chemicals and safe for the environment. If you are interested to know more about chemical sensitivities or are dedicated to green living, check these certifications.
Crib Mattress Brands to Consider
- Colgate Kids: Colgate crib mattress is a trusted name that brings the consumer-friendly baby mattress. It offers long-lasting performance and certainly for all the baby mattress they offer.
- Delta Children: Delta children is a favorite brand when it comes to baby mattresses. The family-owned company has been in business over 50 years and produces baby products for nurseries, baby gear, storage, toddler and twin mattresses.
- Dream On Me: Dream on me is a made in the U.S.A. mattress and bedding company. The family owned and operated business, Produces products that are top quality and tested for standard safety.
- Kolcraft: Kolcraft has been creating baby products for over 70 years. The family-owned company partnered with Sealy® Technology and now expanded into Sealy baby crib mattress and bedding.
- Milliard: Milliard offers crib mattresses and baby gear. Starting in 2009 Milliard has grown to serve thousands of customers and now has multiple warehouses across the United States.
- Moonlight Slumber: Moonlight Slumber baby mattress are UL GreenGuard Gold test for safety, All mattress are PVC free, and the glues use are green compliant.
- My First Mattress: My First mattress baby mattress are square corners, waterproof, CertiPur-US certified foam and a ten-year warranty. This company keeps safety in mind and uses extra firm high-density foam.
- Naturepedic: Naturepedic baby mattress specializes in the organic crib mattress. All the beds are made with natural, organic, and non-toxic materials. Naturepedic also manufacturers toddler pillows, mattress pads, and protectors.
- Newton Crib Mattress: Newton Baby values include community, quality, innovation, and transparency. They create a baby mattress that is not only safe but also comfortable.
- Safety 1st: Safety 1st is the maker of Baby On Board sign that millions of parents have displayed on their vehicles. Since then they have created many home safety products and a selection of crib mattress. The three leading baby mattresses in their collection are innerspring, independently encased coils and high-density foam.
Best Crib Mattresses
Below you will find a review of each aforementioned crib mattresses to give you a better understanding of their value.
Babies have a tendency to make a mess in their cribs from time to time. Even though this design from Newton comes with highly breathable mattress cover options, the mattress is also easily cleaned. Parents can actually take off the mattress cover and throw it in the washing machine when needed. Therefore, cleaning away messes or sweat and dust mites is an easy task. However, dust mites shouldn’t be an issue, to begin with, because this mattress is hypoallergenic.
Both toddlers and infants can make use of this bed. If you have a crib that can be transformed into a toddler bed, you can continue using this mattress and not have to worry about purchasing another one.
Beautyrest is known for making great adult mattresses, but only a few people realize they also make a version for children as well. This mattress is comfortable and durable. Unlike the other models mentioned, this mattress includes 231 pocketed coil springs for balanced support throughout the night. This mattress also includes a protection border and inner foam corner protection. These two features prevent a baby from rolling into a crib corner or onto their side where they might accidentally suffocate throughout the night. Additionally, the woven cover on this mattress is double sided. One side is designed for newborns as it is firmer, and the other side is designed for toddlers.
“My First” mattress is made out of hypoallergenic material, which minimizes the threat of dust mites and bed bugs, and CertiPUR-US certified flexible polyurethane foam for comfort. This mattress fits all standard sized cribs and can also be used in toddler beds. The mattress cover is waterproof, meaning any spilled liquids will stay in a localized place for easy cleaning. The mattress cover is removable and machine washable.
Colgate Eco Classica III Dual firmness Eco-Friendlier Crib mattress, Organic Cotton Cover (Amazon Link)
“Colgate Eco Classica III” mattress is made out breathable organic cotton. This model features orthopedic support that will leave baby feeling extremely comfortable for nights on end. Considering the amount of time baby will spend on this mattress, parents will be happy with the results of each night’s sleep. It does offer dual firmness for infants and exceptional comfort for toddlers. The certified organic cotton cover sits on top of waterproof backing, making it great for all of the life’s little messes that baby might make.
Naturepedic No Compromise Organic Cotton Classic 150 Seamless Dual Firmness Crib Mattress (Amazon Link)
For parents wanting an organic cotton cover on their baby’s crib mattress, they might want to consider Naturepedic’s model. It has two-stages of dual firmness that can hardly be found in any other mattress. This mattress is also double-sided. One side is designed for the use of babies because it is firmer, while the other side is designed for the purpose of a toddler. However, toddlers who enjoy a firmer mattress can continue to use the firmer for an extended period of time as well. This mattress is waterproof and can be easily wiped cleaned. It also includes Certi-PUR US patented foam, making it a very comfortable mattress for a baby.
There are plenty of crib mattresses out there that will keep a baby healthy and happy. However, the “My First Premium Memory Foam Hypoallergenic Baby Crib Mattress” stands high above all others. This mattress has all the features parents could want in a baby mattress. One of its best features is the Certi-PUR US certified foam, which makes this mattress very comfortable to sleep on. With the different firmness options, babies can grow into this mattress as well. Although each model mentioned satisfies standards of quality and comfort, the “My First Premium Memory Foam Hypoallergenic Baby Crib Mattress” is one of the best options. However, parents will be pleased with any of the options mentioned in this list.